These lemon cookies are just enough lemon flavor and so fluffy and light! They are made with fresh lemons right from the tree! If you are looking for a fun and easy to make summer cookie recipe then you will love these easy to make cookie recipe!
I think lemons are the perfect citrus fruit for the summer other than watermelon, which me and my boys can eat all of! It’s weird because I love lemon in baked goods, but I cannot stand it in water or other foods! I am NOT into it.
Odd, but I’ll take the cookie form!
What makes these the Best Lemon Crinkle Cookies?
These cookies came out even better than I thought they would! I used fresh lemons instead of lemon juice from the bottle and they are just so perfect! I used a lemon squeezer, like this one, to measure out the lemon juice into a bowl and prevent the seeds from getting in my mixture and having to dig them out. The fresh lemon juice gives these cookies a tartness, but one that is not too overpowering. It’s just enough.
You will need the standard baking pantry staples here, but you will also need a couple extra goodies.
Lemon juice: I used fresh squeezed lemon juice for this recipe. This took about 2 large lemons, but have a little extra on hand just in case those lemons don’t hold enough lemon juice. You can always make this homemade lemonade with those extra lemons!
Eggs and Egg Yolks: I used both full eggs and egg yolks for this recipe. The egg yolks increase the fluffy and tenderness of a cookie and give them stability and make them moist! You will end up with a softer cookie instead of a crumbly cookie.
Powdered Sugar: After I scooped my cookie dough into balls I rolled the dough in powdered sugar. This gives the cookies that fun white texture on the top!
Yellow Food Coloring: I added 3-4 drops of yellow food coloring to the batter when mixing it to give the cookies that bright yellow color! This is definitely fun to do and your friends and family will love the extra pop of color!
How to make Lemon Cookies from Scratch
Cream the butter and sugar with a stand or hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, and lemon juice and cream again.
In another medium bowl sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the wet ingredients and mix on medium speed until just combined.
Wrap the cookie dough in saran wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Once chilled, scoop 2 in. size cookie dough balls into the powdered sugar and coat well.
Drop the cookie dough balls onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes at 350’F. Bake the cookies JUST until golden brown around the edges. These will be a little softer when taken out, but will continue baking as they cool.
How long do these Lemon Cookies keep?
These cookies will last a little longer than most. Keep them in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days.
Can I Freeze Lemon Crinkle Cookies?
There are two different ways you can freeze these cookies.
- After mixing the dough, but before you bake, scoop out the cookie dough on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Freeze for 1-2 hours. After the dough is hard, move them to a ziplock bag. Keep sealed in the freezer for 1 month.
- After baking the cookies and they are completely cooled, transfer the cookies to an airtight container. Eat within 1 month.
- Use a large scoop. Other than the fact that I love a large scoop and a large cookie, using at least a 2 oz scoop will help your cookies bake better. Larger cookies bake better because it takes longer for the heat from the oven to reach the center. So what does that mean? That means that the outside will get nice and crispy and the inside will stay soft and chewy.
- Don’t over bake. This rule of thumb is great for really any cookie. You will find that perfect gooey center when you bake your cookies just enough. You want the edges to be slightly golden brown. SLIGHTLY golden brown. Cookies continue to bake outside of the oven.
- Use 2 Tsp of lemon zest for an extra lemony flavor.
Other Awesome Cookie Recipes:
Make sure to tag me @raesbakeryblog on Instagram and comment below if you make these Lemon Crinkle Cookies. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the button above or below this post, or any photos above.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you purchase something off one of those links I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting my blog!
Coffee and Brownies,
- 1 Cup sugar
- 10 TBS unsalted butter
- 4 TBS lemon juice
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Cups flour
- 2Tsp baking powder
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- 2-3 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 Cup powdered sugar for rolling
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until the dough is light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla, egg, egg yolks, and lemon juice until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add to wet ingredients and mix on medium speed until JUST combined.
- Place dough on Susan wrap, wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a large cookie scoop, drop cookies in powdered sugar and cover well.
- Bake 12-14 minutes until JUST golden brown.
**Cookies will be slightly soft when removed from oven.