Living in the South in the summer is hot, hot, hot. With the eager desire to constantly leave the oven off and only eat cool refreshing foods and different desserts, is one of the reasons why I created this easy homemade cool whip recipe. This dish is the perfect topping for your favorite desserts, fresh fruit, ice cream, or even by itself!
In all honesty, when I was a kid I very much disliked the tub of whip cream at the grocery store. I much preferred whipped cream in the can. But when we moved to the South (and maybe with age), cool whip has become a favorite of mine. It’s been a delicious addition to many desserts in here at home! This recipe is the easiest way I’ve been able to make homemade cool whip and the best homemade cool whip recipe. It’s inexpensive and quick to make! This dessert is light and airy, fluffy, and silky smooth with a hint of vanilla.
What ingredients will I need to make homemade cool whip?
This cool whip recipe is an easy recipe for the grocery store tub of cool whip with high fructose corn syrup and a bunch of added stuff. This cool whip substitute uses simple ingredients to make a light cream and fluffy texture. Here’s a list of ingredients you will need. There are only 3!
- cup of heavy whipping cream
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
What Equipment do I need to make this Recipe?
There’s not much equipment you will need for this recipe. Thank goodness for less dishes!
- Stand mixer with a whisk attachment or hand mixer with beater attachments
- Rubber Spatula
- Large mixing bowl (if using a hand mixer)
How to make Homemade Cool Whip by Hand:
First, place the cup of heavy cream in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer or stand mixer bowl with the whisk attachment, whip on medium-high speed until the whisk begins to leave “tracks” in the cream and soft peaks form.
1. At the soft peak stage, add sugar and vanilla and whip on high speed until medium peaks or stiff peaks form.
2. The consistency of the whipped cream will be smooth and light.
3. Use on top of your favorite dessert!
Can I \\ake this Whip Cream Ahead of Time?
Yes! You can definitely make this great topping ahead of time. If the cool whip looks loose when you are ready to use it, re-whip it in the mixer until stiff peaks form again.
How do I Store Homemade Cool Whip?
Store homemade cool whip in an airtight container for 3 days in the fridge. If the cool whip looks loose when you are ready to use it, re-whip it in the mixer until stiff peaks form again.
NOTE: If the cool whip is left out at room temperature for too long it will melt.
How long does Homemade Cool Whip Last?
Homemade cool whip will last 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge. You will need to quickly re-whip the cool whip right before you are ready to use it, so it fluffs back up.
Like this recipe? Here are some recipes to try it with!
Apple Pie (here’s a mini version)
Make sure to tag me @raesbakeryblog on Instagram and comment below if you make this Homemade Cool Whip recipe. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the button above or below this post, or any photos above.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you purchase something off one of those links I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting my blog!
Coffee and Brownies,
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place the heavy cream in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip on medium-low speed until the whisk or beaters begin to leave “tracks” in the cream.
- Add sugar and vanilla and whip on high speed until medium to stiff, silky peaks form.
- Use on top of your favorite dessert!