It’s no surprise that cookies can come out different shapes when baking. Sometimes this can be frustrating when we are trying to keep the cookies looking uniformed on a plate for aesthetically pleasing purposes. This post will show you how to reshape cookies after they have come out of the oven. Yes, there is a trick to reshaping cookies after they have come out of the oven.
Why do cookies bake into different shapes?
Sometimes when a cookie comes out of the oven they are a little oblonged, a part is sticking out that shouldn’t be sticking out, or a small piece decided to detach itself.
Cookies will often come out of the oven looking differently depending on a few different things:
- How the heat hit them in the oven during the backing process.
- How they were scooped out onto the cookie sheet
Neither one of these are bad. It just happens. It happens to everyone, even professional bakers!
How do I reshape cookies after they have baked?
So now that we know why cookies come out looking a little different, let’s talk about how to make them round again after you have baked them and they are ready for cooling.
The good news is, this can be fixed! We can make cookies round again after they have baked.
The trick is to reshape them when they have come directly out of the oven. Before you even remove them from the baking sheet to cool.
That’s where the money is!
You can use a round cookie cutter, the ring part of a mason jar lid, a round cup, or anything else that is round and open at the top.
Steps to reshape cookies after baking
- Once the cookies come directly our of the oven (before you have moved them to the cooling rack) take a round cookie cutter or ring of a mason jar and place it directly next to the edge of the cookie.
- Gently and slowly move the cookie cutter around the edge of the cookie. Be sure not to cut off any of the cookie!
- You may have to go around 1 or 2 times to make the cookie round.
- Remove cookies from baking sheet and let them cook on a cooling rack.
BOOM! That’s it and now you have round cookies again!
How to prevent odd Shaped Cookies.
If you want to try to avoid odd shaped cookies baking in the oven and you want cookies to be perfectly round, use a cookie/ice cream scoop to scoop the cookie dough onto your baking sheet. I love to use 2” cookie scoops for my cookies.
I hope you found this post beneficial! I can’t wait to see all your cookie creations!
If you use this trick, please snap a picture, share it in your Insta Stories and tag me @raesbakeryblog
Cookie Recipes to Try
Coffee and Brownies,